• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a Potential Partner in a Conversion Process

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 Lab Techie

Lab Techie

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

I may be posting to the wrong place; but since I'm already a member here I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I'm from Nebraska and am wanting to create a product that facilitates a conversion of one compound to another compound that is not toxic. I would like to find a partner who has knowledge in chemistry and has the means to create such a product to be sold. Profits would then be split between the two (or more) of us. If anyone here or someone you know would be interested in pursuing this idea, please contact me.

Edited by Lab Techie, 14 September 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#2 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

You need a partner and a product - and wnat to split the profits. What do you bring to the deal?

#3 Lab Techie

Lab Techie

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

I bring the idea. I just don't have the experience to make it happen.

#4 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

Now that you've shared the "idea" - of what use are you?

#5 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

But you do have an innovative method/technique or not, or is it really just an "idea", Lab Techie? You could give us a bit more background but if you're working for the university, you can try contacting the OTT (office of technology transfer or the equivalent, for those who're not from north america) which oversees/monitors patent applications or inventions and they can give you more info and advice. And if you're working in a lab or for a PI, isn't it more logical that you approach him/her first before looking for other partners?

For a bit of reality check though, the OTT usually deals more with PIs or professors or even research associates (as primary inventors) and less with tech staff and students. So you wouldve a better chance of applying for a patent or getting funds at least for POP (proof of principle) if your PI is in on it....you just have to negotiate a good deal for yourself. Besides, the way they see it is that you came up with this "invention" using the institution's resources so they shld also share in the profits i.e., if it becomes profitable in the end.

Edited by casandra, 15 September 2009 - 01:41 PM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#6 Lab Techie

Lab Techie

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

Now that you've shared the "idea" - of what use are you?

You are very rude. Many, many, many inventions are THOUGHT OF by one person and the rest is left up to manufacturers, etc. That is how I turned a different idea into a product. Without the idea, there IS no invention! YOU, actually, are of no use with your comments.

Thank you, Casandra, for advice. I no longer work in a laboratory nor do I attend any university. I could patent my idea, however, I need to speak with a chemist to be sure it can even be done. I cannot give out any details so as to protect the idea. If there were anyone interested in being involved, they would sign a contract not to "steal" the idea. I believe I turned to the wrong place for this so I will go elsewhere.

#7 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,545 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

Here in Germany there are fairs and meetings organised to get inventors and companies/investors together. Perhaps in your country it's the same, I don't know. Money (for production, marketing, etc) is always a critical point, even if it's a new and good idea...
I guess in the forum here are mostly poor students and underpaid scientists, they have no money and experience for such projects. Anyway good luck with it.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#8 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hi Lab Techie,

But if you're looking for a chemist (for validating etc your idea) then this is a good place as any. You might find someone who might really be interested...you just have to keep on looking. Goodluck.

#9 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:01 AM

I am familiar with the process and hold many domestic and international patents. One typically doesn't patent "ideas" pal, esp. such ones as what you've described. This is hardly a novel idea and you offer nothing but this childish concept - without any concept of how to pursue a patent nor apparently any practical knowledge for optimization, production, marketing, distribution or commercialization. Patents by themselves are no more than ego - you don't make money until alot of someones buy the product or service.

So grow up and face the "rude" world that asks hard questions, pal.

Edited by GeorgeWolff, 23 September 2009 - 02:02 AM.

#10 Lab Techie

Lab Techie

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Here in Germany there are fairs and meetings organised to get inventors and companies/investors together. Perhaps in your country it's the same, I don't know. Money (for production, marketing, etc) is always a critical point, even if it's a new and good idea...
I guess in the forum here are mostly poor students and underpaid scientists, they have no money and experience for such projects. Anyway good luck with it.

That's a good point. Thank you very much!

#11 Lab Techie

Lab Techie

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hi Lab Techie,

But if you're looking for a chemist (for validating etc your idea) then this is a good place as any. You might find someone who might really be interested...you just have to keep on looking. Goodluck.

okay. Thank you. I appreciate that. I'll look past the less-than-respectable people on here and see what else I may come up with! Thanks!

#12 hanming86

hanming86

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 156 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:19 AM

Hi Lab Techie,

okay. Thank you. I appreciate that. I'll look past the less-than-respectable people on here and see what else I may come up with! Thanks!

ERm to be frank with you, u need to get out of ur comfort zone and listen to GeorgeWolff. Don't look past him just coz he's giving u negative comment.

Be a man , face the world like a man...

He's probably one of the person i respected most here . i like his honesty and frankness. not many ppl do that anymore.. freaking hypocrite world
Lab + Coffee + Music = Bliss

#13 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Hi Lab Techie,

ERm to be frank with you, u need to get out of ur comfort zone and listen to GeorgeWolff. Don't look past him just coz he's giving u negative comment.

Be a man , face the world like a man...

He's probably one of the person i respected most here . i like his honesty and frankness. not many ppl do that anymore.. freaking hypocrite world

But his comments are more than negative. I think that everyone recognises George’s contribution to this forum (and not only in the tech sections) but is this rudeness (esp in this thread) and the resultant ill will totally necessary? And do you think it was meant to be helpful or that it will be taken kindly (try to put yourself in LT’s shoes)? Who wouldn’t prefer honesty and frankness and IMO, we all can accept constructive criticism but only if we feel that it’s given with the best intent and not as a show of superiority and meant only to belittle or disparage, and as a consequence, some of us would react adversely.

Lab Techie is a member of this community so he’s got every right to post a query. Now, if we don’t like what he’s asking nor the manner he’s asking it, if we’ve got nothing better to offer (esp since we don’t have the whole story) then we just ignore the thread and change channels. ““idea””, “of what use are you”, “childish concept”, “grow up”……this can be said in a lot better way but I know that George doesn’t care about hurting feelings (that’s how frank and honest he is)...so do you think LT would listen and appreciate this kind of “advice”? Would you? Honestly, would you feel like a man if you accept this "advice" graciously?

And I think that there’s a difference between hypocrisy and politeness/civility (if respect is too much to give or ask for)…of course, we all know, as George put it, there's a rude world out there but must we bring all that harshness in here and not only propagate but even delight in it? You see what happens…what started off as a harmless query has now the potential of turning into another flame war and once again a thread lockdown?

And how would you feel if I give you the same rude treatment? Esp if you’re thinking I’m far inferior in terms of scientific/tech knowledge and experience (how dare me, right)? But would it then be alright if you do it to me just because you can or you think I deserve it and then expect me not to respond? Then it becomes a vicious cycle what with all the egos involved. Besides, what is our message here? We’re gonna start shooting down posts that we deem not up to our “standards”? I’m sorry but Mussolini is dead and shld remain dead (and that’s my honest and frank opinion about it)….

Edited by casandra, 26 September 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#14 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

Casandra. Again you have nothing of relevance to offer but your "feelings." This about patents and I know the subject well and you do not.

Lab tech's comments and proposal are childish. I hope he or she grows up and enters the real world one day soon.

Edited by GeorgeWolff, 27 September 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#15 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Casandra. Again you have nothing of relevance to offer but your "feelings." This about patents and I know the subject well and you do not.

Lab tech's comments and proposal are childish. I hope he or she grows up and enters the real world one day soon.

George. Again...regarding your expertise in everything, hmmm....perhaps, so I'll take your word for it. And this is sounding so déjà vu......but you shld put a longer leash on Mr Hyde, then maybe even I will listen to you.....meanwhile, lighten up and check out Black Eyed Peas' I Got A Feeling (warning:video's a bit racy).......woo ooh......;)....

Edited by casandra, 27 September 2009 - 06:19 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.