• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

getting crazy about a gene bank entry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sara.r

sara.r

sara.r

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

Hi
I am going to use phosphorylation mutant of human eukaryotic translation initioation factor alpha which serin is subtituted by alanin. that in literature is cited as eif2alpha S51A, but in all gene bank entries and refseq ( NM 004094.4 ) of the gene there isnt any serine at location 51!!!! serine is in 52 position.
I am going carazy I cant tell literature or gene bank are wrong but I dont understand this.
can anybody help
regards

#2 Hamish McWilliam

Hamish McWilliam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:11 AM

I am going to use phosphorylation mutant of human eukaryotic translation initioation factor alpha which serin is subtituted by alanin. that in literature is cited as eif2alpha S51A, but in all gene bank entries and refseq ( NM 004094.4 ) of the gene there isnt any serine at location 51!!!! serine is in 52 position.
I am going carazy I cant tell literature or gene bank are wrong but I dont understand this.

This off-by-one is caused by the cleavage of the initial methionine to create the final product. The UniProtKB entry describes this using a feature. I'm guessing that this is not described in the RefSeq entries since this only happens at the protein level.

#3 sara.r

sara.r

sara.r

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:18 PM

This off-by-one is caused by the cleavage of the initial methionine to create the final product. The UniProtKB entry describes this using a feature. I'm guessing that this is not described in the RefSeq entries since this only happens at the protein level.

thank you very much
please let me ask another question, is methionine removal is a common event in eukartotic genes or it just happens in some cases like this?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.