• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Precipitation appears after adding sodium acetate but before adding cold ethanol

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fzhang

fzhang

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:31 AM

Hi, everyone. I am extracting some genomic DNA from some soil samples. But I found some white stuff in the bottom of the mirco tube imediately after adding NaAc to it, but I had not yet added cold ethanol. When I votex the tube, the white stuff disappeared.

Can anyone tell me how did this all come out?

Thanks.

#2 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

Hi, everyone. I am extracting some genomic DNA from some soil samples. But I found some white stuff in the bottom of the mirco tube imediately after adding NaAc to it, but I had not yet added cold ethanol. When I votex the tube, the white stuff disappeared.

Thanks.

Exactly how far through the protocol were you. For that matter, exactly what was your protocol?
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#3 fishdoc

fishdoc

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Thanks.

I have that happen as well. I don't know what the cause of it is. I do know that swirling or inverting it causes it to disappear.

#4 fzhang

fzhang

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

can anyone help?

#5 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

can anyone help?

What's your protocol please?
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#6 fzhang

fzhang

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

can anyone help?

What's your protocol please?

After adding one volume of chloroform isoamyl alcohol (24:1) to my crude DNA solution, I pipette the upper aqueous phase to another tube. Then I added 0.1 volume of 3M sodium acetate to this solution. Right then some white stuff like precipiation appeared in the lower part of the volume. If I inverted the tube, this white stuff would readily vanish.

Thanks a lot, swanny.

#7 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

is your NaAcetate ice cold AND you are using CTAB in one of the previous steps? If yes: you should keep your samples on ice before removing the supernatant. CTAB preciptiates at low temps (lower than app. 10-15C). Therefore it will vanish again, when warm enough.
Keeping you samples cold will allow you to remove the CTAB from your DNA...good for PCR, as CTAB is a strong inhibitor.
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#8 fzhang

fzhang

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

is your NaAcetate ice cold AND you are using CTAB in one of the previous steps? If yes: you should keep your samples on ice before removing the supernatant. CTAB preciptiates at low temps (lower than app. 10-15C). Therefore it will vanish again, when warm enough.
Keeping you samples cold will allow you to remove the CTAB from your DNA...good for PCR, as CTAB is a strong inhibitor.

Thanks. But neither did I use CTAB nor put my samples on the ice. It's wierd, right?

#9 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:31 AM

lot of polysaccarides or glycoproteins?
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.