• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

self-renewal Vs proliferation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BioPe

BioPe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

Hello all!

I havenīt posted for some time. I guess that is why my nick was cancelled. Anyways I created a new one. Lol

My question is regarding stem cells:

What is the difference between 'self-renewal' and 'proliferation'?
Is it possible to distinguish experimentaly self-renewal and proliferation? The assays that are performed in the literature (spheres cultures, serial passages of cells in animals) prove that cells have proliferation ability or self-renewal?

Thanks guys,
BioPe.
:blink:

#2 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hello all!

I havenīt posted for some time. I guess that is why my nick was cancelled. Anyways I created a new one. Lol

My question is regarding stem cells:

What is the difference between 'self-renewal' and 'proliferation'?
Is it possible to distinguish experimentaly self-renewal and proliferation? The assays that are performed in the literature (spheres cultures, serial passages of cells in animals) prove that cells have proliferation ability or self-renewal?

Thanks guys,
BioPe.
;)

Very briefly, self-renewal leaves the number of cells roughly the same, where proliferation increases the number of cells.

Welcome back to the forum. What was your original nickname?
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#3 BioPe

BioPe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Swanny!

I suppose assimetric self-renewal leves the number of cells unchanged but what about simetric self-renewal, in which 1 stem cell gives rise to two stem cells? Shouldn't this expand the population of cells? I am confused... :)

My old nickname was BioPe, just like the one I created. :)
I think I haven't posted anything since last Christmas. I donīt know why I could not login. LOL

#4 BioLab

BioLab

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hello all,

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I still can't get the difference between self-renewal and proliferation of HSC.

Many thanks.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.