• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Bacteria from hot water spring

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 microbes

microbes

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:03 AM

hello

I have taken soil and water samples from hot water springs having temp of 60 and 70 deg Celcius, these are having sulphur in their water. can you guide me about the different media to be used to isolate all the bacteria present in them.
i mean those who utilize sulphur and specially how can i isolate thermophiles. can we keep plastic petri plates at higher temperature
please suggest what you can

Arvind Behal

Visit My Website

#2 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

hello

I have taken soil and water samples from hot water springs having temp of 60 and 70 deg Celcius, these are having sulphur in their water. can you guide me about the different media to be used to isolate all the bacteria present in them.
i mean those who utilize sulphur and specially how can i isolate thermophiles. can we keep plastic petri plates at higher temperature
please suggest what you can

For media suggestions, you could try www.dsmz.de , which is a German cell repository, or the ATCC in the States. They should also be able to direct you regards temperatures for culturing on plates.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#3 eberthella

eberthella

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:15 AM

Rather than a culture collection - suggest you call the plate manufacturer. Your concern will be migration of the plasticizer. It may not affect recovery/growth but remains an uncontrolled element of your work.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.