• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

NFkB western blotting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jakatta70

jakatta70

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:39 AM

Hi,

Has anybody ever performed western blotting for NFkB? specifically on cells that were seeded into culture plates? I will be doing this on 150,000 Caco-2 cells quite soon. I have been told by a girl I work with that I wont be able to get enough of the protein and she advises using a T75 flask.

Now, the problem with that is that I have an offensively large numbers of treatment groups and I dont fancy wasting all my cells. So would I be able to get enough NFkB from this? The antibody will be recognising total protein and no phosphorylated form.

#2 Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

Hi,

Has anybody ever performed western blotting for NFkB? specifically on cells that were seeded into culture plates? I will be doing this on 150,000 Caco-2 cells quite soon. I have been told by a girl I work with that I wont be able to get enough of the protein and she advises using a T75 flask.

Now, the problem with that is that I have an offensively large numbers of treatment groups and I dont fancy wasting all my cells. So would I be able to get enough NFkB from this? The antibody will be recognising total protein and no phosphorylated form.

You may not have enough protein to detect NfFkB with a total cell lysate from only 1.5x10^5 cells, but it depends on the amount of NfKB in those cells, the antibody/detection sensitivity, and your total protein concentration. A few options:

1) try decreasing the total volume of your lysis buffer to maximize protein concentration
2) try using a more sensitive detection kit (Pierce's supersignal ECL femto kit can detect ng amounts of protein) or super signal secondary antibodies that amplify your primary signal more than usual
3) try crude purifications rather than total cell lysates (e.g. nuclear/cytosolic extracts, immunopurifications, etc.)

Science is simply common sense at its best that is rigidly accurate in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley

#3 jakatta70

jakatta70

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:48 AM

Hi,

You may not have enough protein to detect NfFkB with a total cell lysate from only 1.5x10^5 cells, but it depends on the amount of NfKB in those cells, the antibody/detection sensitivity, and your total protein concentration. A few options:

1) try decreasing the total volume of your lysis buffer to maximize protein concentration
2) try using a more sensitive detection kit (Pierce's supersignal ECL femto kit can detect ng amounts of protein) or super signal secondary antibodies that amplify your primary signal more than usual
3) try crude purifications rather than total cell lysates (e.g. nuclear/cytosolic extracts, immunopurifications, etc.)

Many thanks for that reply. It will undoutbedly be useful. I will try the options you have advised.

Edited by jakatta70, 02 September 2009 - 05:48 AM.

#4 amina_Amy27

amina_Amy27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

Hi ,
I want to perform western blotting of NFkB in rat skin . Can anyone guide me with the protocol for protein extaction from skin tissue . Also can i replace nonidet p40 with triton x 100 ? Please reply I'd be greatful

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.