• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!

(View All Videos) Toggle BioVideo

- - - - -

Common causes for low RNA A260/230 ratios

Read the whole thread here: http://www.protocol-...a260230-ratios/

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone might be able to answer something that has been confusing me lately.

Basically, I have harvested a lot of RNA from iMR90 and U2OS cells over the last two or three months using Trizol extraction, which I then clean up using a Qiagen RNeasy mini kit. 

My problem is, that for one particular experiment, all of the RNA I get seems to have a low A260/230 ratio on the nanodrop which I've heard is a result of phenol contamination or some other contaminant. The problem is, that when I clean up RNA from several experiments together, it's only ever this one experiment which gives low A260/230 ratios so it's not likely a problem caused during the clean up. 

The only thing I can think of that is different is that these samples had been isolated in Trizol, and then stored at -80oC for a few weeks longer than the rest. 

Would this cause this kind of absorbance value? I'm not doing microarrays with the RNA and I don't seem to have a problem with making cDNA for q-PCR so it's more of a curiosity than a burning issue I need resolved. Any input or advice would definitely be appreciated though!

Thanks in advance for your help/opinions,

Rob

0 Comments

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.