• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!

Ihab's Content

There have been 5 items by Ihab (Search limited from 21-September 19)

Sort by                Order  

#11094 Vero G418 Selection

Posted by Ihab on 16 February 2005 - 10:35 AM in Cell Biology

Hello everyone,

I ran a kill curve with G418 for Vero cells and it seems that the concentration that will kill all the cells is around 1.4mg/mL. Does anyone know if this is normal for vero cells? All help appreciated. thanks

#8435 Help: baculovirus expression system? Anyone's used it?

Posted by Ihab on 04 November 2004 - 10:55 AM in Protein and Proteomics

I have used the invitrogen Bac-to-Bac baculovirus expression system in Sf9 insect cells. From my experience, it worked great. The level of expression in the Sf9 cells is very high. Also, post translational modification in the cells is comparable to that of mammalian cells. I cultured the sf9 cells in suspension, however you can culture them adherently but it would be less convenient because you would need a lot of plates to get the number of cells you need.

#8434 Nonspecific Binding on Western Blot

Posted by Ihab on 04 November 2004 - 10:49 AM in Protein and Proteomics

Yes, I am using lystate from eukaryotic cells. The transfection efficiency in the cell line I am using is usually low, so my protein is probably being expressed at low levels. The western blot shows about non-specific bands in the entire lane and I can't tell if my protein is showing up or not.

Thanks

#8348 Nonspecific Binding on Western Blot

Posted by Ihab on 02 November 2004 - 11:35 AM in Protein and Proteomics

;) Hi Everyone,

I am getting a lot of non-specific bands that show up on my western blot .

I am using an anti-his monoclonal antibody that is verified to give almost no background. I am using a goat anti-mouse polycolonal for my secondary Ab.

When I do the HRP detection, I get a lot of non-specific bands that show up on all samples (including the negative control and positive control) and I can't tell if my protein of interest is one of them or not.

I am blocking with 5% dry milk and incubating the antibodies in blocking buffer as well. I am also washing the membrane pretty good. Any suggestions? thanks

#7322 PCR product smearing on gel

Posted by Ihab on 21 September 2004 - 09:07 AM in Molecular Biology

What concentration of Mg2+ are you using? Too much Mg2+ can cause smearing and decrease the specificity of the annealing. The optimal range is 1mM-2.5mM

Hope this is helpful

Ihab

p.s. check out this PCR troubleshooting site
http://info.med.yale...d/tavi/PCR.html

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.