"Dirty" Mini Preps:
1) Grow 3-5 ml over-night E. coli cultures containing your plasmid
2) Spin down 1.5 ml cells
3) Resuspend in 300 µl Buffer P1 w. RNase A
4) Add 300 µl Buffer P2.
Mix by inverting tube a couple of times (no vortex). It is important that cells are completely lysed. Incubate at RT, 5 min.
5) Add 300 µl ice cold Buffer P3, mix by inverting a couple of times (no vortex). Incubate on ice, 5 min or more.
6) Spin 14,000 rpm, 10 min.
7) Transfer supernatant to new tube. Extract with 500 µl PCA (Phenol:Chloroform:Iso-amyl alcohol, 50:49:1). Spin 14,000 rpm, 5 min.
Note: The PCA step is optional if the preps are used for restriction digests - however, the plasmid DNA is not likely to be stable over time without PCA extraction due to potential co-purifying DNases.
8) Transfer 800 µl aqueous phase to new tube.
9) Add 0.7 volumes (560 µl) isopropanol. Mix by inversion. Spin 14,000 rpm, 15 min at 4˚C.
10) Remove isopropanol. Wash with 70% EtOH (careful, pellets sometimes come loose). Spin 14,000 rpm, 2-5 min at 4˚C. Remove all EtOH.
11) Air dry. Resuspend in 20 µl Te buffer.
12) Test 2 µl by restriction digestion.
Buffer P1 (store at 4C):
50 mM Tris-HCl pH 8.0
10 mM EDTA
100 µg/ml RNase A
200 mM NaOH
3.0 M potassium acetate pH 5.5