This method reduces the mutagenic activity by ~3000 fold and is taken from Quillardet and Hofnung, 1988.
1) Add sufficient water to make the concentration < 0.5mg/ml.
2) Add 1 volume of 0.5M KMnO4 followed by one volume of 2.5M HCl. Mix carefully and allow to stand at room temperature for several hours.
N.B.: Acidified solutions of KMnO4 are powerful oxidising agents.
3) Add 1 volume of 2.5M NaOH. Mix carefully and then discard the solution.
This method is after Bensaude, 1988.
1) Add 100mg powdered activated charcoal for each 100ml solution.
2) Store mixture at room temperature for 1 hour, mixing occasionally.
3) Filter through Whatman filter paper and discard the filtrate.
4) Seal filter paper in a bag and dispose of as for hazardous waste i.e. incineration.
Department of Biochemistry,
University of Nottingham,
The Medical School ,
Tel: +44 115 9249924 Ex.44787,
FAX: +44 115 9422225,
Click here to return to the Submission Form or here to go to the Methods Finder.