You will need:
100mM DTT (Gibco-BRL)
Ribonuclease inhibitor (RNasin, Pharmacia)
T7 or T3 RNA Polymerase (Gibco-BRL)
2.5mM rNTPs (Promega)
5 x T7/T3 RNA Polymerase Buffer (200mM Tris.Cl pH 8.0, 125mM NaCl, 40mM MgCl2, 10mM spermidine, Gibco-BRL)
RNase-free DNase I (Pharmacia)
DEPC-treated, autoclaved, nano-pure water
1) Linearize the plasmid at, or near, the terminus of the insert cDNA with a suitable restriction endonuclease.
2) Extract plasmid DNA with an equal volume of phenol/chloroform and an equal volume of chloroform prior to ethanol precipitation.
3) Linearized plasmid DNA is resuspended in DEPC-treated, autoclaved TE, pH7.5 at a concentration of approximately 200ng/ul prior to use.
4) The standard reaction conditions are set up containing the following quantities:
2ul (400ng) linearized plasmid DNA
20U ribonuclease inhibitor
2ul 100mM DTT
4ul 5 x T3/T7 RNA polymerase buffer
4ul 2.5mM NTPs
Sterile, DEPC treated H2O to a final volume of 19.5ul
25U (0.5ul) T3/T7 RNA polymerase
The reaction mixture is incubated at 37°C for 60 minutes.
5) DNA template is removed by the addition of 25U RNase-free DNase I and a further incubation for 30 minutes at 37°C. The reaction mixture is phenol/chloroform extracted twice, ethanol precipitated, vacuum dried and resuspended in 25ul sterile, DEPC-treated TE, pH7.5.
6) RNA can be analysed be electrophoresis using denaturing conditions in an agarose/formaldehyde gel system.
Dr. Simon Dawson,
Department of Biochemistry,
University of Nottingham,
The Medical School ,
Clifton Boulevard ,
Tel: +44 (0)115 9249924 ex.44787,
FAX: +44 (0)115 9422225,
Click here to return to the Submission Form or here to go to the Methods Finder.