Exercise 9.7 - TEM Visualization of Microtubules
- Coated grid for TEM
- 0.1 M ammonium acetate
- 5% ethanol saturated uranyl acetate
- Transmission electron microscope
- At the conclusion of a 37° C incubation from Exercise 9.6, remove one drop (approximately 20 microliters) of the extract, place it on a collodion or formvar and carbon-coated EM grid, and allow it to remain for about 20-30 seconds. 6
- Rinse the grid carefully with 0.1 M ammonium acetate, and float the grid upside down on a drop of 5% uranyl acetate for 15 minutes. Rinse the grid with water, blot all excess fluids from the grid, and allow it to air dry.
- Examine the stained grid in a transmission electron microscope.
- Draw or photograph your observations -- calculate all appropriate dimensions (length, diameter) of the formed tubules.
Return to Table of Contents
Cell Biology Laboratory Manual
Dr. William H. Heidcamp, Biology Department, Gustavus Adolphus College,
St. Peter, MN 56082 -- firstname.lastname@example.org