2. Run out DNA fragments. For fragments greater than 500 bp, run the xylene cyanol dye to the bottom.
3. Stain gel for one hour in buffer containing 1 ug/ml ethidium bromide. Cut out relevant bands with a scalpel and transfer to 15 or 30 ml Corex tubes.
4. Add TE buffer to tubes; 3 ml for a 15 ml tube; 7 ml for a 30 ml tube.
5. Grind up the gels in a tissue homogenizer for 10". Wash the homogenizer probe first with water, then EtOH both before and after use.
6. Place the tubes at 4 deg. O/N.
7. Spin down acrylamide particles 10K, 10', room temp, swing out rotor. Carefully pipet off supernate into a fresh Corex tube. Ethanol precipitate the DNA.
Back to Joy of Cloning Contents