0.9% NaCl solution in microbiology - (Feb/02/2010 )
I have used 0.9% NaCl solution to adjust the density of a bacterial pellet. I have just been told that 0.9% NaCl solution may kill bacteria rapidly even at 4°C. And I really need to keep most of the bacteria alive for at least 4 days in the fridge and then about 3 hours at 25°C.
Does anyone know something about it? If this saline solution is not suitable, does you have any suggestions?
0.9% NaCl is the so-called "normal saline" (aka physiological saline or isotonic saline) used in IV solutions. It approximates the physiological salt concentration in the human bloodstream.
If it kills your bacteria, though I don't think it will), you could try PBS...
Yup, agreed with HB. Just used PBS instead of normal saline with appropriate volume/concentration.